This banana bread is an absolute family favorite. It is so loved by my family that not only did my Mom fix it to go with great fall and winter weeknight meals, but it was a must have for holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter as well. It has been a part of my life since I was able to eat solid food. Of course, it has been cleaned up and changed using whole, real foods, but the taste hasn’t changed at all. And it’s even more heart healthy because it uses extra virgin coconut oil which replaces shortening. You do also have the choice of using real butter in place of the coconut oil. I have used both, and it turned out really well each time! The original recipe called for wheat flour, but I changed it to use gluten free flour and it worked really well!
This bread is moist and sweet and tastes beautifully of bananas! Feel free to add some nuts to kick it up a notch too! I have made this version gluten free, but it does work well with whole wheat flour or even sprouted wheat. The original recipe called for regular flour.
One great thing about this recipe is that it freezes well. This recipe also make a great gift to give to neighbors, co-workers or anyone else who may enjoyed a homemade goodie. Enjoy!
- 1¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour, sprouted whole wheat flour, or organic whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup sucanat, turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil (in solid form-chill if needed) or butter
- 3 small, ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, sift four, salt, sugar and baking soda.
- Blend in coconut oil with a pastry blender.
- Add mashed bananas and beaten eggs and fold in quickly. Don’t over mix. Batter should be lumpy.
- Spoon mixture into greased loaf pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Remove large air pockets by bringing pan down onto counter sharply a few times.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes. Bread will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Transfer bread to a wire rack to cool fully.