I absolutely adore this gluten free baked macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately, because it’s just me, I don’t get to make it as often as I like. But this Thanksgiving, my Mom asked me if I would bring some macaroni and cheese for our Thanksgiving feast. I was delighted to have the opportunity to make my baked macaroni and cheese to share with the family!
This was made this using gluten free brown rice noodles
(I use this brand and really like it). No one in the family could even tell that it was gluten free! Most baked macaroni and cheese recipes also usually call for some type of flour to thicken the cheese sauce. I used arrowroot powder as a thickener in order to keep this dish gluten free! This is one of the brands of organic arrowroot powder that I use regularly!
It is really yummy and was a huge hit at our holiday gathering….but this is one dish that is perfect anytime! You can make this a complete meal by adding some diced uncured ham!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups macaroni or Penne pasta (gluten free, preferred)
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the pasta so that it is still firm and not soft (it will finish cooking in the oven)
- Drain pasta and place in buttered baking dish.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter on medium high heat
- Add arrowroot powder and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the milk, sea salt, black pepper. dry mustard and minced onion.
- Bring that mixture to boiling and allow to thicken, stirring frequently.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the thickened milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture until the cheese has fully melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta in the 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the macaroni and cheese to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.